FULL DETAILS OF THE HORRIFIC NICE TERRORIST ATTACK THAT LED TO THE KILLING OF 84 PEOPLE INCLUDING 10 CHILDREN. HE WAS A FATHER OF 3 INCLUDING AN 18MONTHS OLD BABY, SEE MORE SHOCKING REVELATION ABOUT THE TERRORIST
Truck terrorist who murdered 84 people in a horrific drive along the Nice seafront drank alcohol, ate pork and took drugs – all banned by Islam
Cousin of his estranged wife said ‘he was not a Muslim, he was a s***’ as he revealed he didn’t pray or go to mosque
The couple separated after reports of domestic abuse two years ago and their divorce proceedings ‘depressed’ him
Detectives raided the family home and the flat where Bouhlel lived alone and took his wife into protective custody
Truck terrorist Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel was an ‘unlikely jihadist’ who flouted every rule of Islam, his cousin told MailOnline today.
The 31-year-old – who wreaked terror on the Nice seafront as he turned an evening celebrating Bastille Day into a night of terror in which he murdered 84 innocent people – drank alcohol, ate pork and took drugs.
He never prayed or attended a mosque, and hit his wife – with whom he had three children aged five, three and 18 months – and was in the process of getting a divorce.
Bouhlel, who had been known to the French police since January, had been on the radar for six months for petty criminality.
It is understood he lost his job as a delivery driver when he fell asleep at the wheel and crashed into four cars and had also been involved in a bar brawl.
Walid Hamou, a cousin of Bouhlel’s wife Hajer Khalfallah , told MailOnline: ‘Bouhlel was not religious. He did not go to the mosque, he did not pray, he did not observe Ramadan.’He drank alcohol, ate pork and took drugs. This is all forbidden under Islam.
He was not a Muslim, he was a s***. He beat his wife, my cousin, he was a nasty piece of work.
‘He was not a Muslim, he was a s***.
‘He beat his wife, my cousin, he was a nasty piece of work.’
Yesterday, he was stopped by police just hours before he crushed scores of people underneath the wheels of his 25 tonne truck and fired shots indiscriminately at police and innocent bystanders.
He told officers that he was delivering ice-cream to the area and was allowed to park on the waterfront for several hours.
Horrifying footage of the moment the truck turned into a deadly juggernaut were uploaded online within minutes, showing a trail of dead bodies left in its path.
Bouhlel’s wife was taken into protective custody by police this morning.
Detectives had raided the 12th floor apartment she had shared with her estranged husband in the early hours of the morning and another rented property nearby.
More disturbing facts emerged about Bouhlel’s frame of mind in the hours leading to his murderous rampage on the Promenade des
Wissam, a Tunisian neighbour from the same village as the driver claimed: ‘On the Thursday night he was drinking with a colleague and they argued. His pal said you’re worth nothing and he replied: ‘One day, you’ll hear about me.’
Speaking to L’Express he said: ‘Look this is someone who drinks, smokes cannabis.’
A neighbour called Hannan, who lived on the floor below, said: “He always looked at me oddly. He stared at us and we avoided him.’
Another neighbour described him as shifty and unwillingly to make contact.
Also, it now seems that the guns found in the van were fake and the grenade inoperable.
‘Why?’ said Wissam. ‘What was the point of that?’
It comes after Bouhlel was named by police as the terrorist who drove a lorry for more than a mile through crowds of people celebrating Bastille Day in the southern French city.
The attack left a trail of devastation, killing at least 84 people including 10 children, on the Promenade des Anglais.
After crushing scores of people with the lorry, the driver then got out and opened fire on the terrified revellers trying to flee.
Police were able to end the attack by shooting dead the gunmen.
Mr Hamou, 30, said: ‘My cousin is with the police. They took her way at about 11am this morning, for her own protection. She is at the police station now giving a statement.’
Bouhlel is understood have separated from his wife two years ago.
Neighbour Nassim, 33, told MailOnline: ‘Bouhlel used to live in this block of flats with his wife and family. I lived next door to him.
‘He was not a fanatical muslim. He drank alcohol, he chased girls, he went to nightclubs. He did not go to the mosque. He was not religious at all.
‘He split up from his wife about two years ago. She is a lovely woman.’
Bouhlel had lived with his wife and three young children in a flat in a run-down apartment block in a poor neighbourhood of Nice.
He worked as a delivery driver, but is believed to have been fired recently after falling asleep at the wheel and crashing into four vehicles on a highway.
But he separated from wife Hajer some two years ago following a series of violent arguments, and he was said to have been depressed in recent months as their divorce had been finalised.
He had moved into a rented property nearby after their separation.
Council workmen were today repairing the front door of the former family home which had been smashed in by anti-terrorist police in the early hours of the morning.
Meanwhile detectives and anti-terrorist police were sifting through his belongings at the small rental apartment nearby where he had lived since the split. Forensic officers were investigating a white van outside the property.
One eyewitness last night filmed armed officers approaching the cab of his lorry and firing repeatedly through its windscreen and doors before it appears Bouhlel can be heard screaming after being hit by a police bullet.
The shootout came after his 30 minute rampage where he aimed at crowds watching fireworks and sent ‘bodies flying like bowling pins’ and left others ‘jammed’ under the lorry’s wheels at around 10.30pm local time last night.
Witness Nadar El Shafei told the BBC: ‘He died inside the vehicle – I saw his head [hanging] out of the window , they kept shooting him from all sides just to be sure. Then they asked us to run away in case there were others inside the car or a bomb.’
Heartbroken men and women refused to leave the bodies of their loved ones and the dead remain strewn across the famous Promenade des Anglais today.
Hundreds have now laid flowers in their memory as President Hollande said ‘many foreigners have died’ and at least 50 more people are ‘between life and death’.
French citizens, two Americans, one Armenian and one Ukrainian are among the dead with several Britons among the injured while dozens of panicked people have posted images of loved ones still missing using the hashtags #Nice06 and #recherchenice.
At least 10 of the victims were children, with young girls and boys lying dead covered in a blankets with their dolls and buggies still next to them.
Footage taken at the time of the attack shows bodies piled up in the roads and people running from their lives as they tried to avoid the zigzagging lorry while paramedics treated the injured and dying in the street.
The truck driver was said to have shouted ‘Allahu Akbar’ – God is great in Arabic – before being killed by officers. Pro-ISIS groups have been celebrating the attack, which coincided with France’s most important national holiday.
Details of those killed are slowly emerging in the aftermath of the attack.
Hamza Charrihi, 28, held up an identity card belonging to her mother who was killed in the attack.
She told L’Express: ‘She wore the veil of Islam and practiced a true and blanced religion…a real Islam. Not the one of the terrorists.’
Recovering from shock in a university building in the centre of Nice, turned into a shelter for relatives, she spoke briefly to pay testament to the memory of her mother.